Go Fast Explorer Goes Farther With Titan Trail Trekker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Fast Explorer Goes Farther With Titan Trail Trekker

Big thanks to Micah and Off Road Xtreme for this one!

By MICAH ANDERSON APRIL 26, 2022

Off-Roading is truly about pursuing adventure. Finding freedom outside the developed world and off the paved pathways is what I live for. There are a few products that help us extend our capacity to do that. Titan Fuel Tanks is one of those marvels that unlock our potential and expand our horizons. In this article, Go Fast Explorers shows us how to get it done!

If you are anything like me, then traversing long off-road trips is part of the game. I hate having to worry about if that next gas station will be in range when I start dropping below an ⅛ of a tank. What is the answer? Hauling around fuel jugs and jerry cans is a viable solution for some.

Carrying extra fuel is commonplace but could be cumbersome for many vehicle setups.

Extended fuel capacity should not be a novelty so when I found out about the Trail Trekker II™ Tank, I wanted to put it through some real-world testing.

​​
    Go Fast Explorer Goes Farther With Titan Trail Trekker

I turned to my old friend and colleague Travis Asch who started an outfit called Go Fast Explorers. The dude burns through some serious fuel ripping trails down in Baja and all over San Diego County. I figured Travis and his GFE Explorer would be the ultimate case study for a Titan Trail Trekker.

Travis spent years in the off-road industry and started building himself some pretty rad and very capable 91-94 era Ford Explorers. He shares his love of off-roading with his young son and together they roam the back roads and desert trails of East County San Diego. Travis learned to finely tune his off-road 4×4 Explorer into a well-balanced capable rig that was ultimately reliable.

This knowledge and passion allowed Asch to parlay well-founded experience to help others build their own explorers. Naturally, this all helped evolved Go Fast Explorers into an active social community, fun runs, vehicle builds, and an online marketplace to supply these projects.

After too long of sorting out logistics, I was finally able to get the system deployed and on its way. Travis received the package and had it installed within a half hour. Without haste, he was actually putting it to use within hours on his way to Baja California with an extra load of fuel. 12 gallons extra, to be precise as that is the Trail Trekker’s advertised capacity.
    Titan Trail Trekker Hardware Explained

The two bolts are what connect the Spare Tire Mounting Plate to the Main Fuel Tank Mounting Plate. The larger bolt almost acts like a hitch pin, and the shorter bolt secures it all in place while staying tight by the set nut. The three pictured nuts are actually for mounting the Main Fuel Tank Mounting Plate to your vehicle.
    • ​​
    • ​​
    • ​​

In this second picture presented above, you can see the lug pattern was already determined with mounting locations and studs pressed in.
    Titan Trail Trekker Features
      • 12 gallon / 45 Liter capacity
      • Fits all stock and most aftermarket tire carriers
      • Simple Installation
      • Multiple cutouts for many different bolt patterns and orientations
      • Fits 5-inch, 6-inch, and 8-inch bolt patterns
      • Sized for 15-inch wheels and larger
      • Fits Up to 37-inch tire
      • High-strength steel mounting hardware
      • Compatible with HiLift Jack Mounts
      • Tank is fully grounded
      • Lifetime Warranty
      • FREE 2 gpm Shaker Transfer Hose included

The Self Priming Shaker Siphon Hose is the real gem of this package. This device easily transfers fuel from the Titan Trekker to any other tank. The brass portion drops down into the Titan and is then shaken up and down until a siphon is created. At that point with some maneuvering, you are able to allow the fuel to transfer between tanks hands-free.

The Main Tank Mounting Bracket, pictured in the lower left of the image below is what bolts into your vehicle’s existing spare tire mount. This bracket also has five mounting holes that allow the tank to actually bolt to it. The five bolts to the right of the bracket are the bolts that pass through the mounting plate and thread into the tank to secure it tightly to the main bracket.
    • ​​
    • ​​
    • ​​
    • ​​

Shown above is the Main Tank Mounting Bracket bolted in place with the five supplied mounting bolts. At this point, everything is ready to mate up to the vehicle.

To presents how easy the process was, he put together a video that demonstrates the installation.

That's awesome, I might have to get one of those for my CJ-7, the fuel gauge doesn't work so I carry an extra 5 gallon moto can behind the back seat so this would free up some much needed cargo space!!

Comment

Great write up! After seeing this thing in action, it’s worth every penny. No more having to worry about gas fumes inside the cabin either.

Comment

Working...
      X