Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about 5.0 gt40/ gt40p heads etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about 5.0 gt40/ gt40p heads etc?

Click image for larger version

Name:	E87E281E-85B5-46DA-B169-4AEB47E7D891.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	321 Thinking about swapping out my 96 gt40 heads for some 98 gt40p heads off my parts truck what’s needed to complete the swap without any drive ability issues? And is it worth it to do on a motor with 240,000 miles or just get a new one?

The plugs are different angles which means it takes explorer specific headers for the ps. I don’t know if the manifolds are the same. Might have to get phead manifolds.

they do bump the compression up a bit. Unless your engine is tip top or the current heads are junk you might gain more from a deep tune up like coil packs and O2 sensors on top of the standard plugs and wires.

Comment

• Exploderjim5.0
      Exploderjim5.0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I put gt40p exhaust manifolds on the gt40s I just had to plug the egr and plug wires slightly touch but not enough to really cause a problem

It’s not worth the work honestly with a motor at 240k. I’d go with a new 310 short block and swap stuff over or spend a little bit on a truck flow top end kit. That will really wake er up. I myself had a new 331 stroker built and run that now.

Comment

• Exploderjim5.0
      Exploderjim5.0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I ended up buying a newer explorer 1998 Eddie Bauer with the gt40p setup it’s got a little more horsepower and acceleration with 180,000 on it but I swapped the rear hatch to make it look exactly like my old one this one has a few modifications done also
Working...
X