Relocating rear door handles to glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating rear door handles to glass

I figured I’d lend a hand in this because after 10 years of not having rear handles in my 7” glass I grew tired of it. I just tackled it this weekend with no info virtuallly because I couldn’t find anything.

let’s start.

obviously first and foremost you’re rear panels should already be mounted. Then you’re going to want to take a sue grinder or a cut off wheel and cut out the perimeter steel around the handle in the nice square shape and sand down the edges to prevent slicing yourself open. Be careful as to not plunge in too deep because you can possibly cut the handle return springs.

—all pictures will be down below.

once you cut out the handle disconnect the linkage by either unclupping or pulling out the plastic fitting that the linkage threads into at the door and then unhook it from the handle.

after you have the handle and linkage separated you can flip the handle over and drill or grind out the rivets. I drilled my holes out to 5/16 for the new hardware.

now that you have the handle removed you have a steel template to overlay and trace onto the fiberglass door. Center it up and trace. Drill the door out for bolts and I used a dremel to chase my stencil. It can use some fine tuning once initially cut and checking fitment of handle.

next step is bolt the handle into the new location on the fiberglass. Pretty simple so far.

next step is to determine the length in which you need to extend the linkage contingent on what size your fenders/panels are. I have the big Fiberwerx rear panels so I ended up taking a measurement and had to extend my linkage 2.5” in order to work properly.

I took the factory linkage and cut it high up on the skinny diameter near the hook that hooks into the handle itself. Some have rubber coating and some don’t. Then I used a piece of 3/16” stainless tubing and cut a 3.5”

piece to get 1/2” of plunge on either side of the factory linkage. Then I welded it up.

next, depending on how you disconnected the linkage at the door latch can be different for you. I found the easiest way was by pulling out the hole plastic contraption that hooks into the arm that activates the latch. Install the hook end to the handle, orientation is key, and as you set your fender back onto your door stab the other end of your linkage into the door and carefully pop the plastic clip back into the latch arm in the door. Make sure you have enough clearance in your cut for the linkage to not be interfered with while activating. Install your panel to your door and your linkage should be working just fine now. You may need to adjust but it’s as easy and turning the linkage in or out to shorten or lengthen.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

Attached Files

Right on man, thanks for posting this. For some reason this has been a magical, mystery process, that no one has ever explained thoroughly!

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
      Right on man, thanks for posting this. For some reason this has been a magical, mystery process, that no one has ever explained thoroughly!
      for sure! I searched for a while on info and found almost nothing so I just dove into it

Comment

Working...
      X